Since a good wine is often the complement to a great meal, I thought I'd contribute some of my family's favorites:
1. Spicy Sesame Noodles (Thai) with White Zinfandel (fruity, light bodied, cuts spiciness and adds sweetness to palate)
2. Eggplant or Chicken Parmesan (Italian) with Merlot (rich, full-bodied, smooths out flavors because of low acidity)
3. Beef and Ale Casserole with Horseradish and Thyme (Because alcohol always needs more alcohol) with Cabernet Sauvignon (varied complex flavors, full-bodied, able to take rich roasts and unusual flavor combinations)
And, if you haven't eaten your weekend haul yet- so basically, if you're not me- several people recommend pairing bite size candies with certain wines. Is anybody brave enough to try these?
1. Ruby Port with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
2. Bugey Cerdon with Pop Rocks
3. Riesling with Sour Patch Kids or Sour Skittles